10 Ways to Refresh Your Home This Spring
Despite the recent snow and frigid temps – spring has arrived. Your perennials are showing signs of life and the grass in your yard is getting greener by the day. As you create your spring cleaning list this year, consider sprinkling in a few fun projects to keep your momentum going – and your home fresh.
From minor updates to major changes – here are ten things you can do to breathe new life into your home this time of year.
1. Create an accent wall. Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook are overflowing with ideas on how to turn your bare wall into a focal point in your home. Give it dimension with different size pictures and textured items that have meaning to you and your family. Most of all – be creative and have fun!
2. Repurpose an unused space. Whether it is an entire room or a corner in your finished basement – find a way to bring those unused spaces back to life.
3. Invest in a new light fixture. Thanks to the popularity of shows like Fixer Upper, it’s easier than ever before to find unique light fixtures in nearby stores. By simply swapping out an old pendant with a new one, you can transform a stale room into a vibrant space.
4. Bring plants and greenery inside. Besides looking pretty, a study from NASA found that plants in a home can reduce air toxin levels by 87 percent in just 24 hours. The same research uncovered that houseplants can ease stress by up to 15 percent. Bottom line? Bring a little of the outside – in.
5. Replace curtains. Is taking down curtains and washing them on your spring cleaning list? Why not go one step further and retire what you have for something new? Curtains can bring a pop of color or a bold pattern into a room. Be sure you will love your next drapes by having them custom made to fit your personality and style.
6. Reupholster a piece of furniture. Whether it’s an heirloom piece you haven’t been excited to display, or a couch you use every day – consider having it professionally reupholstered. Change up the style in your home with an unlikely color scheme or a daring pattern you’ve always wanted to incorporate. While some items on this list are DIY, we recommend calling in the pros for this one (did you know we reupholster furniture?).
7. Reorganize bookshelves. Over the past few years, your bookshelves have turned from tidy to tiresome. Change up how you display your favorite novels by positioning them at different angles and adding trinkets or souvenirs from your travels.
8. Splurge on high-end bedding. The quality and quantity of sleep you get isn’t just important – it’s essential. Look forward to retiring into bed each night with a luxurious custom-made bedding set. Work with a designer to create a one-of-a-kind comforter, shams, skirt, and sheets. You will end up spending more than you would at a department store, but the high quality and craftsmanship will last years longer.
9. Create a ceiling statement. One of the current home decor trends is to create a statement by adding paint or wallpaper to a ceiling. The right color or pattern choice will complement the rest of the room and tie it together in a unique and interesting way.
10. Overhaul your coffee table. Maybe for you that means changing the centerpiece that has been displayed in your living room for the past few years. Or perhaps, a coffee table overhaul means sanding it down and painting it a different color altogether. However you define it, this small detail can make a big difference in your home this spring.
Feeling inspired? Share ways you plan to refresh your home this spring in the comments section below – and be sure to give us a call to help with your home decorating and design projects this spring.